One of our volunteers!

  Hello, I’m Moritz. I’m a new German volunteer in The Language School Down-Town. I started volunteering in Ukraine but had to leave due to the political situation. But today I want to talk about my volunteering experience.

After graduating from school, I was sure that I didn’t want to start university right away. Also, I wanted to get out of my hometown and see the world, as cliche as this might sound. I decided to take part in an international volunteering program.

When the time for me to leave my hometown came, it was painful to leave my family and friends and go abroad. I was terrified and was thinking about whether I made the right decision. Especially the first time was hard, since I didn’t have people around me that I knew, didn’t speak the official language, and was never in Ukraine before. After some days, I didn’t feel homesick anymore, but I felt still quite lonely.

I learned that time, that you must actively try to meet new people and take every chance for doing so. You will be lucky if you meet people without trying to meet new people. Since chances are few.

After I realized that, it got easier, and in January I was able to say that I felt as if I was home in Kyiv. My start in Tallinn was way easier, since I know about the things that you must do when you get to a new place, and I already knew some people. This will also be helpful when I start studying in October.

I think it is important for every person to get out of their comfort zone, their town or country and to widen their view. The time after school is the best for doing so.

Moritz

Comments